LENGTH: 4 WEEKS (160 hours of instruction)
REGISTRATION FEE: $200.00
CLASS DATES: A new class begins every Monday – See Appendix A for specifics dates.
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
DESCRIPTION: This is a very basic course for equine owners interested in maintaining the health of their own equine partners through balanced hooves and shoeing or for individuals who wish to have a part-time business.
All objectives from the Farrier 2 Week Course in addition to the following.
The student will:
· Correctly modify horseshoes with clips, block heels, swedge heels, square toes, and trailers.
· Describe the basic circulatory functions of the lower leg.
· Explain the normal growth pattern of a hoof.
· Identify and define the functions of tendons and ligaments in the lower leg.
· Identify the difference between sensitive and horny structures.
· Identify the proper shoe for an equine’s needs.
· Move hot steel safely and effectively.
· Apply egg bar shoes.
· Identify and treat common topical hoof diseases.
Total number of hours in course: 160
Examination and theory: 4 hours
Lecture and forge work: 20 hours
Shoeing and field work: 136 hours
Final Grade Criteria
Written Tests – 20%
Forging Tests – 30%
Shoeing Test – 50%
Four Week Course Cost: $5,625.00
Tools and Books: $925.00
Come Start Your New Career With Us!